Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Is that a Playoff beard?

Photo: Jess Husband
Movie Magic

By Carissa Pritchard

Last week, as we approached the half way mark, I asked Garnet how things were going.
“Surprisingly well actually. I always worry when things go well.”
To ease his worries, red wine was spilt on the laptop containing the shoot schedules. For a while the daily call sheet was replaced with, “See you all back here again tomorrow.”
Today I notice Garnet’s stubble is turning into a beard and wonder whether it’s a “Playoff beard”. A tradition started when Hockey players stopped shaving once their team entered the playoffs. Its since been followed by everyone from Bjorn Borg, the New York Nicks, Sheffield United, NASCAR drivers and possibly now, Reservoir Cats Director, Garnet Mae.

Further complications arise. Rain delayed the scene with Blonde in her car and the black Audi being borrowed wasn’t available the next day. Unable to complete the warehouse scenes, Garnet had to ask the owner for extra days.
“What are you going to do for me?” He asked.
Garnet replied, “Fix your roof and clean out the rubbish.’”
I assume the final call sheet will now include a working bee.

Back to the car problem, Garnet explains:
“My neighbours drive a BMW, she’s really nice, but her boyfriend looks like Viggo Mortinson in ‘Eastern Promises’ (big Russian Gangster). I decide to ask them anyway. 
I knock on the door and he opens it: ‘Vwat do you vont?’
His girlfriend appears beside him and I explain the situation.
She say’s, ‘Normally I’d love to help you Garnet, but I’m trading it in next week and I don’t want to risk any damage.’
Photo: Jess Husband
Garnet and the Beard
The next day I’m in the laundry and the Russian appears. He just walked out of the ocean – looks like Daniel Craig in James Bond.
‘Garnet’, he growls, ‘In Russia we have saying; my pipe, my horse, my voman – you not borrow.’
We ended up using Paige’s 121 and it was hardly even in shot, so it didn’t matter anyway.”

I ask him the obvious question, “Don’t you find this kind of ad hoc movie making stressful?”
“To tell you the truth, I haven’t done it any other way. Of course I’d love to make a movie with a budget, where everything’s planned, I don’t know if I ever will.”
“Is there any good news?” I ask.
“Today’s shoot was scheduled for three days, but we’ll finish in one, which means we’re still on track for the wrap party on Friday night.”

I ask him if he’s sporting a ‘Playoff Beard’.
 “Oh, no, I just haven’t had time to shave – the longer it gets, the longer it takes to shave.”
Perhaps he should avoid cutting it until Saturday.

Join the Wrap Party:
Club 77
77 William Street, Darlinghurst.
From 9pm
$10 entry (free to VIP pass holders)


No comments:

Post a Comment