Monday, October 10, 2011

It’s a wrap. Where's Post?

Photo: Jess Husband
Left: Cat, Gary, Paige, Bridget, Pete, Jarrah, Helen, Garnet, Hayley
by Carissa Pritchard

Six weeks ago I sat in the Kirribili pub with Producer, Peter Furst and a certain amount of skepticism. Yet having watched him prove his statement, “It’s easier to make a movie for nothing than with a budget,” I too want to put his theory to the test.  I compose an email to cupcake shop My Little Cupcake in Neutral Bay. I explain the project and ask if they’d like to provide catering for the wrap party. The minute I hit send, I second-guess; “There’s no way they’re going to do it. Isn’t is rude to ask people to do something for nothing?

For the final day of the shoot, Garnet tempted fate by shaving his “Play-off” beard – a tradition started when Hockey players stopped shaving once their team entered the playoffs. The superstition has been copied by everyone from Bjorn Borg, the New York Nicks, Sheffield United, NASCAR drivers, most recently, Reservoir Cats Director, Garnet Mae.

Shooting on a Sydney street, a black cat wanders across the set, but Garnet’s magic holds and "That’s a wrap!” is declared three hours early. But the three-week shoot was only one small step; the giant leap will be finding a location to edit for the next three months.

When I get home, I check my inbox – eyes falling immediately to the My Little Cupcake response, “We’d love to help you. You can pick up fifty this afternoon.” In a modern capitalist society there’s something incredibly inspiring about such generosity.

As I enter the Wrap party at Club 77 in Darlinghurst, I spot Garnet in the corner having a drink. Is he enjoying it considering post-production is unresolved?
“I’m not going to think about that now,” he says.
Good idea, its time to celebrate.

Amidst the free flowing champagne (that was actually free), I catch up with Gary Russell, Director of Photography, for a debrief.
Would you do it again?
“No way.”
Why not?
“Because there was only Matt and I in the entire camera department which meant we had to lug all that stuff around, pack it up, move it, unpack it, clean it, pack it up and bring it back every single day. There’s more help in student productions! I’m way too far along in my career to have to do that. If it wasn’t for the fact those girls were counting on me to turn up every day… But they kept turning up, giving 100%, so did Garnet so… so did I.”
What’s next?
“I’m off to shoot Reality Tele in Bollywood.”

What’s next for actress Hayley Beveridge?
“Back to working in a bar.” She giggles. “When I tell people I’m an actress they say, ‘Really? What bar do you work at?’” She laughs.

Actress Bridget Power says she’d love to work with everyone again and starts talking about the next project she’s planning. Unfortunately, the band stars playing and I have to practically rub cheeks with her to hear anything. Faced with an extreme close up of such incredible bone structure, it’s hard to focus on what she’s saying. I hope I’m not “objectifying” her. When does a compliment become objectification? (C’mon, I still have to make some kind of political statement :)

Peter Furst takes the stage with Garnet, beckons Gary and presents him with a big, gold trophy –  “The Cup of Awesomeness.”
The cast joins Gary on stage and cheer wildly.
Gary thanks everyone, especially Garnet, whom he says working with, “Was like a brother and sister collaboration – Garnet being the sister.”

Garnet takes the mic, starts singing, Trying to stay relevant and turns the club back into a party. It’s time for the cupcakes.
As I offer them around, someone asks, “Did you bake these?”
“No”, I say, “I did a Peter Furst.”

Does anyone have a 15 square meter room, centrally located, available for the three months? Please contact Peter Furst.

No comments:

Post a Comment